3D Printed Lawn Mower - FAQ's
Can I leave a Tip for all the free stuff? :)
As you can imagine this project took a lot of time to develop. If you appreciate the free STL files, Instructions and Arduino Code and feel like leaving a monetary tip please use this link
My Garden is really big? Can the mower handle it?
I have the mower set to run 2-3hrs every 2 days. This is enough for 500m² to 800m².
It is possible to mow every day. Therefore mowing every day (including some inefficiency for a larger area) = 800m² - 1200m²
It is possible (from charging perspective) to mow 2x a day which would increase again the mowing time. Personally I think its better to mow the grass in the late afternoon when the grass is dry and the sun is not so hot (so only 1x)
The other option is to increase the battery capacity for longer mows.
I am also working on a new spiral feature which i hope will increase the efficiency of the mower for larger gardens.
I am working on a Large Area Mower now. See details here
How long can the mower mow?
Using a 3S 18650 2400maH capacity Battery Pack. (I used 6x 3S packs in parallel making a 20.4Ah pack). This gives me (on a flat garden) a mow time of 2-3 hours.
I have a 220x220mm print bed, can I print the project?
Yes. The STLS can be purchase here.
The mower is slightly smaller but still very capable
Where can I get the parts for the project?
All the components you need are available in my online shop...
WiFi and Mobile APP
Yes - Done! Here
Can you include a rain sensor?
Yes. Done! :)
Can I modify the software?
You can modify anything you like... Its ARDUINO The nice thing about this project is you are free to make the mower do whatever you like. Want it to bring you a cold drink in the Garden... then program it to do so.... :)
But seriously, there is really no limit to the modifications that can be done to the mower. There are many sensors available for Arduino that do almost everything and there are plenty of empty analog or digital outputs free on the ARDUINO MEGO board to plug them in to.
I am continuously improving the software and hardware... please check back for new code and new updates on what the mower can do.
Can I have the CAD Files?
The 330 Mower CAD files are available on my GITHUB site here:
Can the mower mow in a pattern (not random)
Yes it can mow a spiral pattern
Im working on the parallel feature now.
Can the perimeter wire be split into Zones.
I didn't implement this as I don't need it. But theoretically it would be possible with a relay switch. the zones could be fed back to the relay switch and turned on and off as needed.
Its Arduino - anything is possible.....
My Perimeter Transmitter is not working:
- First check that all connections are correct and that your using at least 20-30m of quality perimeter cable to give enough resistance to produce the signal.
- Make sure you are using a 200x Audio Amplifier.
- Make sure the inductor coil is soldered directly to the audio amp and no extension cable is being used.
- Run the Wire test sketch in the mower menu. You should get negative values when the mower is inside the wire and positive values if the mower is outside the wire. If you are seeing positive values inside the wire and negative values outside the wire, swap the perimeter cables around on the perimeter transmitter.
- Check out this video to see if your setup is behaving the same way.
- If your perimeter wire transmitter still doesn't seem to work try with these alternative settings in the Arduino UNO sketch before uploading.