Previous Mowers with LCD - Testing
LCD Screen Address Setup.
(If you are using a TFT Screen you do not need to add the i2C address)
1. Download this the I2C_Address_Finder Sketch. (This is not my original code).
2. Open this code in the Arduino IDE and upload it to the MEGA (you will need to re-upload the mower MEGA.XX sketch to the MEGA afterwards)
3. After the code has been uploaded to the MEGA open the serial monitor. Ensure that the BAUD rate of the serial monitor is set to 115200 otherwise you will see just gibberish.
4. Note down or copy the address found in the code where the LCD is referenced. It will be something like 0x27.
5. Upload again the Mower.XX sketch to the MEGA.
6. In the Arduino IDE on the first tab look for this line of code.
7. Update the red underlined address only with the I2C address of your LCD screen. In this case my address is 0x3F.
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x3F, 2, 1, 0, 4, 5, 6, 7, 3, POSITIVE);
8. Now upload the sketch to the MEGA again with the updated address. the LCD screen should now function and the menu functions of the LCD screen can be used with the keypad.
LCD Screen & Keypad:
To enabled the LCD Screen and Keypad change the settings on the Mower MEGA_VX.X Arduino code to:
To get to the setting menu using the mower keypad and LCD screen messages.
1. Long press the start/select key.
2. Using the arrow keys scroll to Mower setup and 3. Select that menu.
TEST MENU LCD
Using the keypad the Test Menu can be selected:
1. Long press the select/start button to enter the menu.
2. Use the arrow key to scroll in the menu
3. Use the select/start key to select the Test Mower menu option.
With the same procedure the different test sketches/programs can be ran.
ALWAYS TEST THE MOWER WITH THE BLADES REMOVED!
(As of Mower 6.8 code)
1. Wire Test
This tests the functionality of the wire sensor. To run this test you will need to have the perimeter wire transmitter finished and switched on. You will also need to have at least 30m of perimeter cable attached to the transmitter.
The test shows the signal strength the wire sensor is receiving. The values should be negative (-700 to -1000) when inside the wire (on the lawn) and positive (+500 ish) when outside the wire (in the area not to be mowed). If your not getting these values then check the wiring.
If your positive and negative values are switched then no problem, just swap the perimeter wires going to the transmitter and try again.
2. Relay Test
Tests that the relay is switching on and off. If this doesn't work correctly you wont/shouldn't have any 12V power to the wheel motors or blade motor.
3. Wheel Test
Tests the wheels are correctly wired (left wheel/right wheel) and that they are working. If the wrong wheel spins then change the wires going to the motor driver. If the wheel spins in the wrong direction, change the polarity of the wires going to the motor driver (swap positive and negative) .If the relay is not switching on (you will hear a click) then there will be no power to the motors and this test wont mean anything. Ensure the relay is working first.
4. Blade Motor Test
Really please..!!! remove all the blades. This will test the connection between the MEGA, mower motor controller and mower motor. The mower motor will spin up in this test!
5. Sonar Test
A sonar module which is not working correctly will significantly increase the loop time of the Arduino. This can result in slow responses to wire detection etc. Make sure all the sonar modules are sensing correctly and have no loose wiring. By putting an object in front of the sonar module you should see the distance registered on the LCD screen. If this is not happening something is incorrect on that sonar module. Check the wiring (ECHO TRIG is connected to the MEGA correctly) and that 5V is present at the sonar module (voltage test between VCC and GND)
6. Turn Test
Experimental to help me develop the parallel mowing - This helps align the 90degree turns. (I think the GPS once developed will help here)
7. Volt Amp Test
Tests the communication with the NANO and that volts and amps values are being transferred to the MEGA. If a charge current is applied to the 2 charge pins the C will indicate that a charge is detected and the AMPs will show the value measured. If not check the wiring of the volt sensor and amp sensor. Also check the RX and TX are correctly wired to the MEGA from the NANO.
8. Compass Test
Shows the heading and degrees the compass is sensing. Move the mower around manually and make sure the value is changing. If you know where North is this helps to check the readings are correct. (North is 0 degrees).
(Ensure the compass is enabled in the settings menu)
9. Go Home Test.
This tests the "Go Home" feature of the mower. If "Docking station" and "Compass" are enabled in the settings menu the mower will simulate a return to the docking station. (Perimeter wire sender needs to be on). This test should only be ran once your wire sensor is working and the motors are turning correctly.
Also make sure the tracking direction, compass home heading & wire find fwd/back (TRACKING Settings) are correctly setup.
Adjustments to the PID may be necessary if your mower is wiggling too much when tracking the wire or "jittering" and not moving forwards on the wire.
Use this test to perfect the Go Home function and find the correct settings for your garden. The default settings will give you a good starting point to work from.
10. Bumper Bar Test.
If you have the bumper bar installed this test can used. Pressing the bumper bar should activate a "BUMP" message on the LCD screen. (code V7.1 onwards)